Maintaining a positive body image is sometimes hard in our culture, but you can be comfortable in your own skin.
What is an eating disorder?
Eating disorders involve extreme emotions and behaviors surrounding body image. Each year, thousands of young adults become victims of their own restrictive diets and suffer from eating disorders.
- Extreme thinness.
- Unwillingness to maintain a normal weight.
- Fear of gaining weight.
- Lethargy, sluggishness.
- Brittle hair and nails, dry and yellowish skin, growth of fine hair all over the body.
- Severe constipation.
- Often fear gaining weight.
- Feeling of disgust and shame.
- Purging cycle can happen from several times per week to many times a day.
- Worn tooth enamel, decaying teeth.
- Severe dehydration from purging liquids.
- Guilt, shame and distress. Sufferers are typically overweight.
By age 6, girls start to express concerns about their own weight or shape.